Thursday, January 28, 2010

Catch 22: Applying Hybrid Vehicle Technology

January 2010

Yes, I was the first kid on my block to buy the fabulous new 2004 Prius. I ordered mine even before it was named "Car Of The Year".

I Proudly received one of the very first, in the color of Toyota's choice. It has been a happy relationship, and with my diamond lane stickers that allow me access to the HOV lanes as a lone driver. This was a gift to the early adopters from the Govenator. I don't ever plan on upgrading.

However, there is a law in California that requires cars to get a smog check prior to their sixth year registration. And so, when I received my registration notice for my 2010 stickers, it came with a notice to get a smog check.

A quick Google search on "Toyota Prius Smog Check" leads to the State of California, Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Automotive Repair website (http://www.ofa.dgs.ca.gov/AFVP/ToyotaPirusSmogInspect.htm). Here you are informed you that there is currently no approved technology for getting a smog check on a Hybrid. It will wreck you power plant and it will possibly electrocute the inspector. Allrighty then.

There is a help number listed on the registration notice. Sensibly, you may call this number to get help with this dilemma.

After a lengthy wait (over an hour in my case), a very nice but totally misinformed person will likely put you on hold as supervisors are consulted. After another 30-40 minutes, you will discover that there is no answer, guidance or satisfaction here. "When in doubt - shove it out"! Other phone numbers to call will be provided... In my case, some are never answered.... some never ring. None solve the problem. Another hour will have passed.

This may lead you back to the Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Automotive Repair where a really nice man named Dan Burnett actually lists his phone number. Dan answers in just a couple of rings. The sun breaks through the clouds! Dan absolutely knows that you cannot get your Prius smog checked, but be does not quite know what to suggest. He is not the department of motor vehicles. "Maybe you should go to the DMV and speak to someone?", he may suggest. 1/2 day to probably no avail? Yikes. I can't do it. As the clouds close back up, and the light fades away, I look outside at my "steam punk version" of the Prius and sigh.

What is clearly needed here is a new approach! In my case this is a call to the American Automobile Association. Personally, I have been a member for decades. And since I typically own newer cars, I almost never need anything from them - until today. Will my long time investment in this advocacy group pay dividends today?

Again, a very nice person put me on hold several times as they consult their colleagues and supervisors. "Yes." they will finally admit, these calls are starting to come in now. I am the second caller this week. They have been looking for guidance from Sacramento, but there is no definitive answer for me.

I seem to be worshiping at the shrine of Joseph Heller. He wrote a great novel called "Catch 22". And here is MY catch 22 loop:

1. The State of California requires that I register my vehicle.

2. The environmental regulations require that my car must have a smog check before it can be registered.

3. The fact that my car applies a new hybrid technology means there is no available technology to DO a smog check.

4. Without that certificate, the system will not allow me to register my vehicle.

5. Go back to step 1.


As the first wave of buyers all encounter this silly loop, it will surely get resolved. Until then, the Department of Consumer affairs, The help section of the Department of Motor Vehicles, and the help line at The Automobile Association Of America will all answer with "I understand but I don't know".

My answer was simply. I sent in my registration without the smog certificate and a note that logically explains the fact that my hybrid technology vehicle must surely be exempt since it is not possible to get the certificate.

This will surely fail. I expect my registration will be rejected. I will be penalized for not being registered. I may get cited for not having tags. Sometimes you just need to roll with the punch.

Salvation will come from the rising surge of fellow early adopters, who will all run into this ridiculous loop. About the time local news picks up the story, Sacramento will deal. Until then, I will simply hop into my "old" Prius and continue to enjoy the best car I ever owned while flitting past the LA traffic in the HOV lane.

Applying Hybrid Vehicle Technology... It's all good.

Theo

1 comment:

  1. OK- I wrote this blog a few days ago before the big news break about Toyota stopping sales because of the gas pedal. It was scheduled to post this morning.

    I still love my Toyota!

    ReplyDelete